Wednesday, June 8, 2011

drawing my own - plus some hockey talk

While I waited to hear about an illustration yesterday I started another painting of my own tattoos.

Here's the progress so far.

This figure-8 knot was done about a year and a half ago by Steve Baker in Guelph, ON. I think he did a really nice, clean job on it.

Not much to say about it: I like the look of knots (I used to be into tying fancy, decorative knots), I like the number 8, my sister-in-law was about to get married so I had the phrase "tying the knot" (and eternity) on my mind.


This one was done several years ago by Lydia Stalingrad in Halifax, NS. At the time I think she was a bit nervous about the smallish lettering but she did a great job - true to the feel of the old advert it came from.

This was sort of a memento of living in Halifax, to my love for hockey/hockey-history/Canadiana, and to my love for old advertising all wrapped up in one.


I don't play hockey... I did play soccer for a bit... but I've never been able to "get into" soccer (despite reading The Ball Is Round - which was a good read). The game is just too long and boring for me. There, I said it.

Hockey captures my attention on many levels. I'll happily admit that it's partly due to living in the province of its origin for 5 years and running into Sidney Crosby a few times. (I watched the Pens win the cup in Sid's boyhood arena - it was hilarious and cool.)

Anyway, I get attached to places via the history of those places and Halifax's and hockey's histories happen to be intertwined.

This little book made a good argument about Halifax-Dartmouth being the place where hockey really began. Also, it's a quick and informative read about hockey's interesting history. I recommend it.


I might get the little striped guy tattooed someday... maybe when the Pens win the cup again.


I thought this tidbit (or should I say "timbit"?) about the acrobatic influence of the goalies from the "coloured leagues" on the NHL was really interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment