Wednesday, June 1, 2011

ASKing

I found the blurb below yesterday through tumblr. I think the person that posted it originally is maybe a transvestite? I'm not sure and don't really want to invest the time to figure it out right now... I just mention it because, if that is the case, then they probably have a lot of experiential wisdom to offer on the matter of getting to where you want to be in life.


It is simple. So simple you might think you don't need be reminded of it... but you do. Or I do at least...

I've been thinking a lot about life/career goals lately - especially in light of my new family status (which I'm still getting used to and trying to be more open about - which is "involuntarily childless" by the way - as in, we wanted but can't have kids).

Anyway, my biggest problem in my life & career is always myself, getting in my own way with self-doubt and shyness and fears of failure. Possibly also fears of success...

I know there are A LOT of artists out there that are much better than me but I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a talented person with the potential to get much better.

I have talent but I often don't seem to have that fire in my belly that "great artists" have... the ones that create ceaselessly and with abandon. Or maybe I have a little flame but I'm very good at extinguishing it with my fears and insecurities. And let's not forget that for several years I've been trying to save room in my belly for something/someone else.

Anyway, it's warming up in there, in my belly. I'm working on something I have some passion for - which is fun. The biggest hurdle is going to be in about a month when I need to go out into the world and start asking people (who will probably still be strangers) to help me. I fear that. Hugely.

In response to this challenge and the blurb from tumblr I finally got around to hanging up these old sign letters in my house yesterday... as a daily reminder that I need to start ASKing - without fear of the answer "no"... because there is a chance that someone might eventually say "yes"... and that will be AWESOME!



(These letters used to be gold but I sprayed them white. I got them from the Re-Store in Guelph for $3 a piece... there were a few other letters available but this was the only word I could spell... signs and wonders?)

No comments:

Post a Comment