Thursday, September 1, 2011

Stoney Certainly Did Know How

I finished painting this mermaid today. She is repainted from Leonard (Stoney) St. Clair flash.

I'm currently reading "Stoney Knows How" by Alan Govenar and finding it very inspiring. Stoney had rheumatoid arthritis (which is also what Maud Lewis had - another art hero of mine) and I'm amazed at the technical caliber of his work despite the physical hardships he faced. He also seems to have had a wonderful sense of humour and a good philosophy towards his work.

A sign he had hanging in his shop read: "I, Leonard Stoney St. Clair, am in the business of rendering a service to this community for the small group of people who choose to have their bodies decorated in some way or another... I choose to pursue my profession with intelligence and skill, wishing not to offend anyone, but instead with my love of mankind, do what good I can do before I die."

I love that... it embodies how I want to be.

So anyway, I repainted one of his mermaids. I think I might also get a tattoo of this gal eventually. I've long thought of a mermaid tattoo but had never really found the "right one".

I'm pleased with her. I feel like my painting and spit-shading skills are improving.


Here's the original from the book.


Here's one of the sketches I made to get to know her better before bedding her down in the ink.


There is also an awesome video of Stoney you can watch here.


No comments:

Post a Comment