Tuesday, September 27, 2011

painting and thrifting

Watched the Ontario election debates and (re)painted this (from Bert Grimm flash). Will do some other stuff around it later. They always tell artists (writers usually) to do "what they know"... and I know I love coffee...



The debate put me in a bad, cynical mood but finding cool, old stuff at thrift stores puts me in a good mood. It's my version of retail therapy. I wish I wasn't so addicted to it actually - I may need to take a break from it.

But in the meantime... some cool finds:

Old hiking bag - $2
(I hung it on the door that goes out the apartment to hold all my grocery-shopping bags)


A genuine Walnut humidor with engraved initials and plaque - $3,
(Paraphrase: To T.W.B for good work in the Ontario Electrical Utilities from his "Manufacturing Friends", 1955)



A suede and fine needlepoint clutch - $1.



Thought: I think maybe part of the reason I like collecting old stuff might have to do with the seeming lack of heritage/family heirlooms in the house that I grew up in. Even as a child I always craved heirlooms...

.

No comments:

Post a Comment