Saturday, September 10, 2011

another great glebe garage sale?

I didn't see it advertised anywhere but coming home from yoga today I noticed that the south-end of The Glebe (my oddly-named neighbourhood) was garage-saleing in full force.

I kind of peed my pants about this pair of curvaceous yellow lamps (50s? 60s? 70s? Not sure the decade) as I drove by. By the time I made it back there on my bike they were, sadly, gone. Which is probably a blessing because I really didn't need them.

Anyway, I also have my eye out for an ottoman/pouf. Something like this:


But maybe in a solid colour. Preferably yellow. But I don't want to spend $100+ on a pouf so I'm waiting patiently until I find one at a thrift store or garage sale.

So I had no luck with that mission but I did get a bunch of fun stuff for less than $3.

Today's lesson, if you cruise garage sales in rich neighbourhoods at about 1:30pm you'll pretty much get everything for free.

Some bling:


A wooden truck for a friend's kid (though if she rejects it I don't mind keeping it):


A bunch of free books, including Atwood's "Surfacing". Kind of shocking that I've never read this actually...

(Hey Ms. Sadie, if your reading this, remember when we saw the long pen? Next time I'll bring this...)



Then I hit up the library, where they have a surprisingly delightful selection of design books... but nothing about oil painting... which I found a little odd. Don't all the old richies want to learn how to oil paint in their retirement*?!



(*Sorry. I like my neighbourhood but it's a bit weird to live here because it's a bit "richy-rich"... so I have to mock it sometimes to, y'know, keep up my firmly-middle-class-non-street-cred.)

No comments:

Post a Comment