Monday, August 22, 2011

Ottawa Swans

Late Edit: I just discovered there is an Aussie-rules football team in Ottawa called the "Ottawa Swans" and while I am enamoured with their jersey, this post is NOT about them. Look elsewhere if you want to find out more about the footballing variety of swans.


*****

I've got a bit of a thing for swans. These artifacts were collected a few years ago in Halifax but there is other stuff around the house...

I guess it all started with visiting those crotchety old (gay?) swans in the Public Gardens in Halifax. They had a lot of personality. Nelson died while we still lived there and I just read that Horatio died shortly after we left. Are there no swans in the garden anymore?


Anyway, upon arriving in Ottawa and driving over the Rideau River on Bank Street I kept seeing big white blobs in the water out of the corner of my eye.

Sure enough, I looked it up on the interwebs and it turns out Ottawa has a rich, swan history going back to 1967 when Big Liz gave us 6 pairs of Royal (Mute) Swans for our 100th birthday!

I love spotting them whenever I'm crossing the Rideau.

You can read all about the Ottawa Swans HERE.

This pair that came over in hopes of a snack when I ate dinner down by the river one evening.

Then this fella did a little dance for me... and so I gave him some lettuce.

This guy, a solo Australian Black Swan, did a swim-by as well. He had cool curly feathers on his bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment