Sunday, July 24, 2011

man can he piss!

This is one of my favourite pieces of statuary in the world (I don't have a list of favourite statuary but if anyone were to ask, this would probably be my answer...)

Bruxelles Manneken Pis cropped.jpg

It's "Manneken Pis" (translation: Little Man Pee) and he lives in Brussels. I've never actually seen him in person but I've known of him since I was a small thing due to one of my older sister's charm bracelets. Seeing a little boy peeing off my sister's wrist was a wee wonder to me.

Anyway, this cheeky little man has been pissing all over the place for over 500 years.

And also, I just learned from Wikipedia, that people dress him up in all sorts of costumes! What Euro-fun!

"I vant to drain my vein..."


So, you won't be surprised to learn that when I saw a Manneken Pis Drink Dispenser at a thrift store one day, it immediately went into my basket!!

Here he is on my bar, along with an ash tray from Expo '58 featuring his same self.

(One might assume from this picture that I'm a big drinker and a smoker. I'm neither but I think it's nice to have a bar in the house. Very civilized-like.


Sadly, he was a little "blocked" when I rescued him from obscurity on the thrift-store-shelf. Couldn't perform his proper function if you know what I mean...

I dutifully checked his prostate and found the source of his problem. The issue was solved by ordering a new toy-sized motor from a surplus store in Nebraska.

...of course I only went online after visiting my local hobby shop dealing in model planes, trains, and automobiles. I think I made a big impression on the guys there - not only because they rarely have a woman grace their mantel but because I'm 100% sure they've never had a young, tattooed woman there looking for a small motor for a naked child that passes alcoholic pee.

Look at him dribble!


Anyway, my mini-maaneken can piss like the best of them now.



(And I have to say, I'm feeling pretty proud that I figured out how to get his motor runnin'... and I now own a soldering iron to boot!)


.

2 comments:

  1. okay, that is pretty funny. Nice work. MD in statue urology hereby granted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am way behind on blog reading. If I'd been more diligent, I would have insisted on coming over for a drink while in town!

    ReplyDelete