Thursday, May 19, 2011

baby steps

Actually, I don't think these are even steps yet. I'm just crawling right now...

...but that's one way to get where you're going right?

I've started practicing some tattoo flash, trying to learn from the masters and all that. It's really different from the way I'm used to drawing - I've never really used ink or watercolour. I'm enjoying it but I know this stuff doesn't look very clean...

This stuff isn't great compared to some of the awesome flash I see on the internet however I don't think it's total shit either. I'm challenging myself to get better (faster) by posting my progress on the internet. Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to work with these new tools. I'll get better.

I'm pretty old compared to most people who dream of becoming a tattooist but this dream is well over a decade old now and if I don't go for it, I know I'll always regret it (in fact, I regret it already, not doing it earlier). It has taken me a long time to get wise to the fact that I'm not shackled to my conservative upbringing and can do what I want...

Anyway, as the old saying goes, "you're never too old..."

So finally, after asserting it quietly amongst my friends for a couple of years, I'm telling the world that I hope to become a tattoo artist. I want to do it the "proper" way with an apprenticeship and I've been saving my pennies to accommodate this... but I'm shy and I don't know any tattoo artists in this town yet.

But I'm willing to do the dirty work and the homework and the heavy-lifting for the chance to learn.

I'm responsible. I'm used to working with clients and deadlines. I'm shy and nervous about new things so I might seem "uncool" but I'm also earnest, likable, and fun. I'm loyal and helpful.

So... if you are someone or know someone who can help me with my quest, please get in touch. I'll help you in return.

*****

- Repaints of small Sailor Jerry flash.
- Merkaba based on part of a Chad Koeplinger tattoo (this was strictly for practice, I'm not trying to rip off any current tattoo artists...)




- Little Boxer from Stoney St. Clair.
- Roses from Tattoo Peter of Amsterdam.



- Horse head based loosely on Sailor Jerry.
- Horseshoe in Heart is a tattoo that my friend has on his leg, done by Bailey Hunter Robinson. It is based on very old military flash.


(FYI. I don't trace from the originals. I'm trying to train my eyes in terms of proportion... but I do trace from my own drawings when going from sketch to drawing.)

(Does anyone know if spit-shading is bad for your health?)

.

No comments:

Post a Comment