Sunday, February 6, 2011

Boogie, It's Cold Outside...

This winter is starting to feel grubby. No longer enjoying it.

Outside my bedroom window an odd snow sculpture's been forming for days. It began to look too much like the Oogie Boogie Man so it had to be toppled this morning - to avoid anymore nightmares before Christmas...

(ba dum dum)


Moving on, below is a recent innovation I've been working on for a few weeks and finally got some good-lookin' results.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce "Sour Nickle", part Pumpernickle, part Sour Dough.

I'm pretty sure it must already exist but I'm very purposely choosing NOT to google it because I always google every idea I have and am always disappointed to find out that someone else has already invented that thing, coined that term, made that corny pun, done there, been that... y'know? So I'm just pretending I invented this for a little while.

(My sour dough starter has been "living" for about three years now and I'm pretty proud of that.)

Anyway, this bread's not burnt... that's just its "pumpery" colour from the cocoa, molasses, and rye flour I put in it.


Another cooking experiment didn't go quite as well...

Well, it tasted great but looked weird...

I put this dark-coloured, "heritage" carrot in my chicken soup and it dyed everything purple. It doesn't look too bad here yet because this was right after I put it in... but later all the onion, noodles, and worst, the chicken took on a blue-purple hue. Not especially appetizing to look at.

My husband actually said later that if he hadn't known I made it, he wouldn't have eaten it!

I should've know that carrot would behave like a beet but I wasn't using my brain... serves me right for trying to fancy-up the simple comfort of chicken-noodle soup!


Looks bad but still tasted "yum".


1 comment:

  1. your bread looks amazing! Maybe when you make the move I should give the bread making another go and request some lessons.

    Kbliss

    ReplyDelete