Tuesday, June 22, 2010

no catchy title today

Last night's model at Life Drawing was really good. Very unique gestures, brought in some props, and even maintained active facial expressions during the longer poses! Unfortunately, I was not having the greatest drawing night (am I ever?)

But here are some that I managed to sort out of the cull pile:

a one-minute gesture that I like mainly for the odd placement on the large page


and two of the longer poses (I forget, 20-minutes each maybe?)


I don't feel like I've found that magical combination of materials yet that really lets me get past beyond struggling with materials and on to struggling with the drawing.

*****

In other, more crafty-news. I've been suddenly overcome with the desire to make friendship bracelets. I think this seed was planted last year or so by Ray Fenwick (my Halifax Art Hero).

He did a whole series about friendship bracelets which you must see by clicking the link in this sentence. But here's one of them if you're too lazy to click:

Ahhhh Very cool so cool by Ray Fenwick.

Friendship bracelets have also been popping up all over the fashion-blogosphere. I like the clever, up-graded twists people have been doing with them: weaving them through and around gold and rhinestones bracelets, etc.

Partly I think it's just because, in learning to embroider, I've been handling embroidery floss a lot lately and I used to be a Pro-Star bracelet maker back in the ol' days... so it was just bound to happen.

I've been having a hard time finding embroidery floss but I stumbled upon a GOLDMINE at the Lens Mill Store in Guelph recently. That place is a throw-back to an earlier time for me too. I made a big quilt in university and most of the fabric came from there. It used to be in an old knitting factory that was a pleasure to visit. It has since moved into an ugly strip mall and the factory is now condos that aren't very soundproof (I know because I have a friend who lives there). Oh well... it still houses all sorts of weird loose ends and embroidery floss is very abundant!

Also, I found this awesome horse-head-thread-organizer thing there! I never knew I needed this until now! Love it. Also love that I found FLORESCENT floss! And some sparkly gold stuff (not pictured). What what!?!?!




1 comment: