Wednesday, June 16, 2010

new dots

The 3rd dot on my embroidery-sampler-quilt-project. An ampersand made up of French Knots. I directly copied this idea from a blog I read: Oh Hi.


As you can see below, the original is a lot neater than mine - but hey, she has a lot more experience than me and makes hers to sell so they have to be good... I'm just trying to learn.

I really like the idea of using the negative space. I wish I'd drawn a nicer ampersand to begin with. Her font choice is much more polished-looking.

I didn't see the extreme close-up of her work until after I had started mine using the french knots. She does not use french knots and is able to achieve much more control in her outline. Also, french knots take a long time - but I'm very good at them now! Lessons learned.

Teal Ampersand by OhHi Shop.

In other newness, I did this quick-abstract-boob-painting yesterday on a piece of corner trim from my husband's parents' house. My mother-in-law had a lumpectomy yesterday so I had boobs on the brain. The photo-montage below is nicer than the actual object. I'll probably redo it another day.



1 comment: