Wednesday, January 25, 2012

loosey goosey

Two more drawings/paintings in my little book.

I was trying to be fast and loose with both of these and tried to do things with the inks that I hadn't tried yet. They are just practice really but I'm keeping them as records of progress/learning*.

***

This one was originally based on a couple of pictures from the Sailor Jerry, American Tattoo Master book (pg. 53) but I after I messed up a bunch of lines I decided just to throw colours around, layer them, wash them off, etc. It felt liberating so I put it in the book. I like some stuff that happened in the top left quarter.



This one had very little initial drawing/planning and I painted with only brushes (normally I've been using a nib pen). Everything is copied out of the little Taschen book of tattoos. More specifically the tiger and lady-head are by Tattoo-Jack from Copenhagen (1951), most of the filler is either generic doodling or else copied from Ole Hansen, also of Copenhagen (1952)... oh... except that little dog which is Joseph Hartley, Great Britain (1930s).




 Cheerio.


*I guess every piece you start should be considered "practice"... you never start a thing thinking it's going to stand as your ultimate, amazing masterpiece right? Or at least you probably shouldn't... too much pressure... I digress.


No comments:

Post a Comment