Friday, March 11, 2011

life-drawing (two weeks, one post)

Between work and apartment-hunting (and generally obsessing about moving) I've been a bit too distracted to post my life-drawings (or anything else) for the last two weeks... but I'm in a calm-before-the-storm moment now so here's a catch-up...

***

I'm glad I've been taking pictures of the drawings and posting them here because having this archive has allowed me to feel totally OK with getting rid of the piles and piles of drawings before I move. I can still track my progress without keeping the physical papers.

***

I haven't been very impressed with my drawings the last two weeks. (Not that that is the goal - it's just about the practice right? Yes. Right... but I'm not gonna lie about it feeling awesome when I knock it outta the park!)

I didn't really connect with the last two models. Not that they weren't good... just something about the chemistry wasn't right...

I mention this because I've been noticing that certain models on certain nights really "click" and some don't. Actually, even the SAME model on different night might click or not click.

It's such an interesting relationship really... the "clicking" is dependent on the focus and energy of BOTH parties!

Normally I would just assume that I alone was having an off night but I'm starting to realize that the models have off nights too and that can really affect the drawing. It's not like they are inert objects in a still-life.

In fact the mood of the other drawers in the room can affect things too... (perhaps I pick up too easily on other peoples' energy?)

None of this is to say that the mood has to be happy/light/comfortable to have a good drawing night. Often struggling against weird conditions gets great drawings too.

But some nights are just kind of flat.

***

For instance, the model dude from two weeks ago I must have drawn at least 3 times now and other nights I got really good drawings. But this week he was pretty tired and shaky and I was actually kind of worried I might have to do some kind of first-aid on him. This made focusing on the drawing a lot harder.

The extreme angle I took probably didn't help...



I was liking this one but wish I had gotten further along...


Same with this one... would have been nice to get more black on the right-hand side there.


This was a total experiment with coloured pastel (because I saw another person in the room drawing this way)



When we zoom out, you can see how I felt about it...



***

This week I had good, positive feelings going into the studio but then the model was quite young and new to modeling and her poses lacked creativity. In retrospect, I wish I had coached her a little bit in her poses but I had never run into this situation before and I didn't know how to do it without sounding harsh. She was very beautiful and had a dancer's frame - but sometimes that is harder for me to engage with visually... not very many nooks and crannies to dig in to.

Anyway, other people seemed to like her a lot... so it was just me that it didn't click for I guess...


I've run out of newsprint and don't want to buy more before moving so I brought in some alternative surfaces:



By the end I just gave up and sort of made the last pose into some kind of landscape...



No comments:

Post a Comment