Thursday, December 30, 2010

a look back at the christmas just past - part 4



OK, one last x-mas update then into the new year!

My family plays a Gift Exchange Game every year. It's the one where everyone gets a number and can take a present from the pile or steal a gift from someone else. The price limit is $20 but I think some people cheat. Bottles of alcohol do VERY well in this game!

Bucking corporate conventionality and not wanting to aid in the alcoholism of my young nephews and nieces, I went off to the thrift store to see what I could find.

Pleased with my previous Wayne-White-Rip-Off-Effort (see part 3 in this series), when I found a print featuring a wild seascape, I decided to do up another rip-off for the family game.

This time I painted the old nautical saying "Huzzah".

It went over pretty well and it even got stolen a few a times. My brother ended up with it.

This is the only picture I got - right after I finished painting it.



The other thing I put in the game was a Bossons head of a "Sea Captain". They are collectible but this one was beat up and I found it at the thrift store. It is actually a likeness of Norman Rockwell!!!

These creepy Bossons heads go way back in my family's history so I thought people might enjoy the nostalgia of it... but I was the only one apparently... I picked my own gift (tacky, I know) and no one ever stole it from me... but I'm happy because this is the kind of junk I enjoy...


He had some scuffs and dings but I patched him up real good.

I also found another bowling pin the same day... so now I have two of each. Merry Christmas to me!

Collections, they just happen to me... I can't help it.


So the Life-Boat-Man and the Sea-Captain now hang in the most water-related room of the house, the bathroom. I enjoy greeting Norman Rockwell every morning but my husband is a bit creeped out because Norm's sort of looking right at his wang...


...and on that note, a merry christmas to all and to this subject, good night!

1 comment:

  1. So Rhondesque, hilarious! One can only imagine where I laughed the loudest.
    We had a gift exchange game too - with stuff we took out of our house. A lot of trading (mostly to get rid of crap, but some high demand stuff :)...and it was LOUD! Beerta

    ReplyDelete