Monday, April 30, 2012

Our Salad Days

A household innovation story:

My dear, handsome Husbo came home from a working week away with big plans for our fridge. See, while visiting the land of Academia he spent all his lunch money at a cafeteria with a nice salad bar and now he wanted that salad-fixin'-luxury at home. 

So, off to the container store we went this weekend (I didn't even know there were whole stores dedicated to containers until very recently). 

Now we have a big box 'o salad stuff in our fridge from which we can throw together delicious, nutritious salads very easily and quickly (because of course the hassle of eating salad is all the annoying chopping, chopping, forever chopping). 

So far, I like it... we'll see if it helps us eat more salad in the long run. I think it will. 

I share this story in case you too have been harbouring secret-salad-bar-fantasies. It can be so!

**************

It takes up a whole shelf of the fridge - but it basically stores all our veg in an orderly fashion. The actual veg crisper is full of beer and bubbly water. I don't like keeping plant matter in the crisper drawer because it's not see-thru and therefore too easy to forget about... (but I never forget about beer or bubbly water so that's safe).


Easy to take everything out of the fridge in one smooth motion. Lift with your knees!


See!? Orderly!


Look at all that easily accessible nutrition! (The challenge is to eat it all before it goes bad!)


Salad-makin'


Yum! (That was easy!)



The End



3 comments:

  1. Coolness!!! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hard core!! I don't know if I could keep up with the chopping requirements to keep it full all the time, but I love it! And I love your blog too.
    Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks ladies.
    i just found these comments today.
    the salad bar is still going strong. i really like it. the chopping isn't too hasslerific.

    ReplyDelete