Friday, April 13, 2012

Ned Hanlan - Forgotten Canadian Sporting Dude and My Imaginary Boyfriend


OK. Here's another "restyled/remixed" thing. 

I cobbled this together to fancy-up the "gym" area of my living-room. If you live with your workout equipment in the room where you also go to relax, you have to try to make it bearable for your eyeballs... or at least I do. Plus, I have all these odds and ends hanging around that I'm compelled to either purge or make stuff with. Also, it is inspiring to workout under the watchful eye of a sports hero. Ha!

The little heart came from this plastic "Visible Man" I had until very recently when it met it's demise at the hands paws of a clumsy cat.  Sad. I like the old-fashioned word "hale" (meaning "hearty and healthy"). I won't bother describing where all the other little bits come from or what they mean to me (but I'd tell you if you asked).



There it is, hanging in place near Silken Laumann (that's what I call my rowing machine). 


When I started rowing I discovered the story of Ned Hanlan - a Canadian World Champion Sculler. Do you know the site "My Daguerreotype Boyfriend"? Well I nominate Ned for that site. He was a hottie with a body. I think the gay dudes at the nudie beach on Toronto Island, Hanlan's Point (named after the family's hotel that used to be there) would agree with me. There is a pretty manly statue of him there.

Anyway, Ned was quite a character and a tricky/funny sportsman. You should totally read up on his antics in the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame (because I'm not going to spend time rewriting them all here).

Here's some pictures of Ned that I stole from the internet:


Ned was called the Boy in Blue because he wore a blue shirt. And if you want to see Nicolas Cage portray him on the small screen, YOU CAN! Because they made that movie in 1986! I'm downloading it RIGHT NOW! 

...

I hope you enjoyed this relatively uninformative but link-filled heritage moment.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment