Monday, November 21, 2011

flash dump

Truth be told, I'd grown tired of blogging. Tired isn't even the right word... it's more like I started to feel like it was totally pointless and therefore I wasn't doing it.

However, a friend encouraged me to keep her up to date with my drawing/painting progress and so, with that small prodding, I'm back. I thank her for that because it is nice to know that people care.

So... here are some things...

This lady head is done after Amund Deitzel flash but I'm not going to finish it because I'm unhappy with the shape of her face. (Actually, I have already redrawn and inked her again and I'm not finishing that one either because I just can't get her to have the aloof/angelic look I want... I will eventually come back to her and try again because I like the image but I needed to move on and try something else.)



This bird is from the Ben Corday Tattoo Travel Book and it is the first bird I've attempted. I didn't have any brown ink so I had to use some water colours. I'm not loving my current paper selection or the water colour paint. Anyway, a learning experience.



This one was really fun.

Having gone through art school and done a lot of "life drawing", I've drawn many a penile region in my day... but, as I was never an adolescent boy, I don't think I've ever drawn a random, gratuitous "cock"...

Now I have...

This whole image is so delightfully ridiculous that I enjoyed every minute of drawing it.

It is from the Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopaedia Volume 1. The caption says it is a "humorous youth tattoo known by convicts as 'Duet with sleighbells'". Here you can see my drawing beside the original.


Here's a scan of the inked drawing.


Here it is hanging on my fridge because I thought it was an "A+"... and also funny to use the "This is ART" magnet (picked up at the San Antonio Art Museum) to hang it.



And lastly, one I did yesterday.

Everything on this sheet is Ben Corday flash and I tried to keep the inking style as close to his as possible (so, more brush-strokey in some places than smooth, gradated washes).



Here's the central lady with her original counterpart in the book. I really need to go get some brown ink and maybe some (caucasian) skin tone - because mixing the inks doesn't seem to work very well and I had a hard time getting the colours of the original (which I was trying to do here... for practice...)


Anyway. that's it for now. Thanks for looking!!

.


No comments:

Post a Comment